Disconnects between Employers’ Needs and Labour Market Realities:
CORD is inviting you to discuss Employment Issues and Diversity in the Workplace.
Please come and share your ideas and learn more from others
Thursday March 13th, 2014 9:30 am – 3:00 pm St. Teresa’s Parish Hall
Mundy Pond Road, Admission: Free!
On Thursday, March 13th the Coalition on Richer Diversity (CORD) will host a Diversity Winter Event on Employment.
CORD works with various organizations in the community to foster an inclusive culture for everyone who calls Newfoundland home. One of the concerns brought to us regularly, both by newcomers and representatives of local businesses, is that employees are having trouble finding suitable employment while employers are struggling to find suitable employees.
Last November CORD hosted an event to discuss this disconnect from the employee perspective. If you would like more information about our 2013 Fall brainstorming event please see below.
We invite you to attend the Diversity Winter Event where we will be discussing this issue from employers’ perspectives and working collaboratively with them to develop solutions. Share your insights and contribute your experience to this important issue.
Join us from 9:30 am – 3:00 pm on March 13th at St. Teresa’s Hall (120 Mundy Pond Road). We are pleased to offer you refreshments and snacks. Do not hesitate to indicate any dietary considerations you may have.
Please RSVP to projects @ cancord.org or at 709-754-4122 with the name of the attendee(s) and the organization.
Findings from our fall brainstorming event:
During our CORD brainstorming session in the fall, front line workers related difficulties facing many potential employees. On behalf of CORD, we would like to thank everyone who came together to make our event a success. Below are some of our findings which will be used to direct our discussions series on March 13th.
– Newcomer friendly policies
– Writing job ads that are easy to decipher
– Negotiating Work Permits, Visas and Labour Market Opinions
– Appealing to multi-cultural workers
Integration in the Workplace:
– Creating conflict free environments
– Dealing with cultural tension
– Awareness of cultural difference
Perceptions of a multi-cultural workforce:
– Perceived uneasiness about hiring foreign workers
– Promoting positive, inclusive hiring procedures
– Engaging with newcomers via internships or speaking engagements
At our Diversity Winter Event we’ll consider:
– Most common issues from employer and job-seeker perspectives;
– Ideas on how to be an effective equal-opportunity employer;
– Negotiating perceptions of a multi-cultural work force.
If you would like more information about this event please contact us at projects @ cancord.org. We look forward to meeting with you and discussing ways to build a stronger workforce in our province. Join us for a day of brainstorming and discussions and meet other groups striving to make their workplaces more welcoming and efficient. Please RSVP to projects @ cancord.org or at 709-754-4122.